Friday, April 16, 2010

Chapter 6

Okay, this isn't one of my better chapters. It felt kind of forced near the end, like there was something I wanted to say, but I didn't know how to say it. I hope it's alright. Please, read, comment, review, and rate.
Next time, Chapter 7, you'll get some more gods and goddesses!!!!!


He was dressed in his fishing outfit, Hawaiian shirt, cargo pants with hooks sticking out of pockets, and his hat, of course. He was frowning slightly.

“Percy, what are you doing?” he asked calmly.

“I’m kinda…on a date.”

Annabeth stepped out from behind my back, blushing. “Lord Poseidon,” she said, bowing her head.

“Maybe I should just…talk to you later.” His eyes went worried and I resisted the urge to yell.

“I know what you came to tell me.”

He nodded, as if he had expected as much. “Then we’ll definitely talk later. Tonight, Percy. At the bottom of the lake.”

The thought of that made my heart thump faster. Oh, jeez, this didn’t sound good.

“Yes, sir,” I agreed quite scornfully.

His gaze hardened, but he just blinked and dissolved into little pieces of salty water. When I got those cleaned up, I noticed Annabeth was standing rock still at the door, arms crossed, as if she was afraid to walk farther in.

I smirked at her. “You okay, Wise Girl?”

“Aphrodite visited me.”

Stick a fork in me. I’m done.

“Oh,” was my brilliant reply.

“But, Percy, I just wanted to say…” She looked at her shoes and slowly stepped farther into my room. “Our parents hate each other, we both know that. But, I…” A harsh laugh came from her throat and she rolled her eyes. “I can’t believe I’m saying this. I don’t know why I can’t just say it. Get it over with.”

I cupped her head with my hand and wrapped the other arm around her waist, pulling her against me. “We don’t have to talk if you don’t want to.”

“No, I don’t want to talk, but…”

“Wise Girl, what happened to the hot kiss you were giving me two minutes ago?”

“You’re dad walked in.”

“So pretend he didn’t.”

And she threw her arms around my neck, pulled me down to her and gave me a kiss that gave every nerve in my body a shock. This continued for a while before she broke away to breathe. Her eyes were glazed, her pupils were dilated and she was smiling softly.

“Annabeth, I love you.”

And she froze. Her eyes softened. “Oh. Percy, I love you, too.”

And for the first time in a very, very long time, I felt that feeling that only shows itself when you’re really in the right place at the right time. Happiness. And then something just had to ruin it.

The meeting with my dad had consisted of shouting, mostly from him, and it was all about Athena and how if he had known I was in love with Annabeth he would have never allowed it to continue. Long story short, I wasn’t exactly on his good list right now.

When I saw Annabeth the next morning, I learned she had gotten the same thing from her mom last night. Well, this sure wasn’t going well.

--

As the days continued, it seemed I was spending more and more time with Grover, and less and less time with Annabeth; not that I noticed until he pointed it out. And even then, I just brushed it off. Grover and I were friends—we didn’t need an excuse for guy time. Nico arrived at camp late, sporting a brand new look. Gone was the pale, pimply kid and here to stay was the buff, tall, devilish boy that I had to give a second glance before I realized who it was. It had only been a year—what the heck happened?

Every once in a while I noticed Annabeth hanging out with Rachel, but never gave it much thought.

Tonight was the first Capture the Flag game of the summer and the cabins had been split like this: Poseidon, Hephaestus, Ares, Aphrodite, Hades, and Apollo versus…everyone. This shouldn’t have been allowed, since there were a certain number of extra people on the opposing team, but I still believed I could take the whole camp if I had Clarisse on my team, so I figured we were fine.

Our flag had been placed in the middle of the water that ran in a stream to the lake by my cabin. The flag itself sat on a small island that was big enough for one person to stand on—the only problem was getting on and off of it. We’d used this to our advantage, since I could very easily manipulate the water and I knew, without a doubt that the other team was toast.

The boy Riley was to be my partner in offense, except we weren’t really moving. Oh, fun.

Kensey and Clarisse were partners and they stayed close to us. Strategically, I backed against Riley, keeping my eyes open, Riptide up. The other couple decided to do the same thing, but with Clarisse’s glare, I could see it was out of necessity, not choice.

I suddenly heard the crinkling of leaves under foot and I smirked. Who was our first victim? The crinkling stopped, but I kept my eyes everywhere, watching and waiting. No one showed themselves. That was when I realized—Annabeth. She must have been invisible.

“Clarisse, check on the defense. Make sure they’re watching to make sure the water doesn’t move.”

“You thinking Annabeth went invisible?” she asked.

“Exactly.”

She nodded once and punched Kensey in the arm before quietly running towards our flag. Kensey winced and raised his eyebrows at me in a clear message that said, “Dude—crazy.”

I shrugged. “You wanna go after their flag?”

“Not really. I’m really more a defensive person. But, by all means, go for it.”

I turned around to glance at Riley, who had been awfully silent. “What do you say?” I grumbled.

“Why not? I feel like spilling blood.”

--

The girl standing directly at head defense for the opposing team was sporting grey eyes and I smirked to myself as I hid out of view. It was Heidi, one of Annabeth’s half-sisters. I knew her well enough, but she was about to go down. Hard.

I glanced at Riley. He was watching me, waiting for a signal, waiting for the coordination that battle required. I nodded once and he smiled.

Needless to say, in the end, my thoughts had been correct. Clarisse had stopped Annabeth trying to get our flag, and Riley and I had succeeded in capturing the other one, not before an awesome battle scene, of course.

The only problem was at the end, when I was sitting at the edge of the lake, watching the rest of the players pat each other’s backs, I noticed Annabeth, sitting on the bank that the flag had been on, looking very obviously upset.

I made a move to stand, to get over to her and ask her what was wrong. Unfortunately, someone beat me to it. Riley sat down next to her, spoke to her for a moment and then she spoke back. I couldn’t tell what they were saying.

“Hey, Percy,” a voice said.

I turned and saw Rachel. She was frowning. “What’s up, Rach?”

“You’re future’s not looking so good.”

“Not so good like…what?”

I didn’t really feel like another near death experience.

“Like Annabeth’s…” Her gaze hardened slightly and she cocked her head, looking over my shoulder. “Like Annabeth’s leaning on some other guy’s shoulder.”

And sure enough, when I turned back around, there she was—her head against Riley’s shoulder.

“Percy? What did you do to her?”



heehee. lol.
hope you like it.
chapter 7 will be up soon. don't forget to check out the preface i posted. as of right now, the preface, chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are up!!

love,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment